Do you know how many people live in India? How big it is? And what is the capital city? No? Well read on as you will find these facts about India to be interesting and informative and will help you to learn all about India and the Geography of India. Complete with illustrations to help explain and understand, these facts about India will both entertain and inform you.
8 facts about the geography of India
Delhi from space
6. Tall mountains. The highest point is Kanchenjunga at 8,598 m. It is the 3rd tallest mountain in the world.
7. Long rivers. India’s longest river that flows through India is the river Indus at 3180 km long.
8. Heavy rains. Large parts of India have a monsoon season and India is home to the wettest place on earth – Cherrapunji.
1. Large country. India is a large country. It is the 7th largest in the world at 3,287,263 sq km.
2. Forested. 23 % of the country is forested making India’s forests the 9th largest in the world.
3. Capital city. The capital city is New Delhi.
4. Home of big cities. India is home to the 2nd, 5th and 14th world's largest cities in terms of population. Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata.
5. Long borders. It borders 6 countries: Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Burma, Nepal, Pakistan.
11 facts about the people of India
There are 108 males for every 100 females
1. Loves Democracy. India is the world’s largest democracy.
2. Large population. India has the 2nd largest population in the world - 1,251,695,584 people.
3. Largest population. India will have the world’s largest population in 2050.
4. Lots of boys. India has more boys than girls. It is the 9th most boy heavy country in the world.
5. Lots live in towns. India has the 2nd biggest urban population in the world.
6. More live in the countryside. India is home to the world’s biggest rural population.
7. Life expectancy. Men live till 65.8 years old on average and women live till 69.3 years old on average.
8. Lots of languages. There are 15 official languages: Hindi is the most spoken (by 41% of people).
9. Young mothers. India’s mothers are young. It has the most teenage mothers in the world (aged 15-19).
10. Low obesity. 4.7% of the people are obese. This is the 8th best country in the world.
11. Predominantly Hindu. 79.5 % of the population is Hindu.
12. Lots of households. India has the 2nd largest number of households in the world.
13. Home to refugees. India is home to the world’s 19th largest refugee population.
7 facts about the economy of India
1. Low cost of living.
India has the 3rd lowest cost of
living in the world among major
2. Most listed companies.
India’s stock exchange has the most
companies listed in the world.
3. Large economy. When
accounting for purchasing power,
India has the 3rd biggest economy
in the world. Measured in dollar
terms, India has the world’s 10th
4. Established stock markets. In terms of market size, India’s two main stock markets rank 11th and 12th in the world.
5. Expensive offices. India has the 6th most expensive office rents in the world.
6. Large CO2 emitter. India is the 3rd largest emitter of CO2 in the world.
7. Big spender on R&D. India is the world's 16th largest spender on R&D and has a large IT industry.
The expressway from Delhi to the airport
9 facts about lifestyles in India
Second largest tea producer in the world.
1. Loves the cinema. Largest cinema attending market in the world.
2. Loves making movies. Largest number of movies made in the world.
3. Welcomes visitors. 15th largest tourist income from overseas visitors.
4. Likes a lot of music. 20th largest music market in the world.
5. Enjoys cricket. Won the men's cricket world cup more times than anyone else bar one country.
6. Loves tea. 2nd biggest tea producer in the world – drinks it all.
7. Grows coffee. 6th biggest coffee producer in the world – exports it all.
8. Vegetarian. India is home to the largest number of vegetarians in the world.
Facts about technology in India
1. Growing force. The IT industry in India is a large growing market representing 8% of all GDP.
2. Nuclear power. India built its first nuclear power station in 1969.
3. Pioneering satellite launcher. India launched its first satellite way back in 1975.
4. Satellite builder. India built its first satellite in 1992.
5. Vyomanauts. An astronaut from India is called a vyomanaut. India placed its first man in space in 1984. Astronauts, cosmonauts, taikonauts and vyomanauts.
6. Growing satellite industry. India is the world's 6th largest satellite launcher.
7. Well funded. India's official space program has the 8th largest space budget in the world.
India has recently launched its first astronomy satellite.
Facts about defence in India
1. Large arms importer. India is the world's largest arms importer. India is a peace loving nation and uses its arms for defence.
2. Large army. Measured in terms of manpower, India's army is the third largest in the world.
3. Well funded. India's official defence spending places it 8th in the world in terms of budget.
India's army is the largest volunteer army in the world.